Saturday, October 08, 2011

I blinked


Whew... wow, as "they" say, be sure to enjoy them, as they are they will be gone in the blink of an eye. Let me just tell you, I have been doing everything to keep my eyes open, but it has been to no avail, I eventually had to blink and here we are... Sam's first day of KINDERGARTEN. I can not tell you the range of emotions that have occurred over the thought of my baby going away to kindergarten:
Joy, sadness, anticipation... I am sure there are more, but this is a good start.

JOY: great happiness, pleasure
I am so happy that Sam gets to be a part of this great adventure. I can not wait to hear about his fun-filled days, the excitement of meeting new people and obtaining new friends, the pleasure in seeing the light bulb turn on as he understands new ideas and concepts.
SADNESS:unhappiness, depression
I am unhappy that my sweet, innocent and naive little boy will be exposed to this cruel world, a place of unfriendly people and a different set of morals and values. (can't think that I am depressed)
ANTICIPATION: enthusiasm, anxiousness
I am anxious, though very enthusiastic about Sam entering this new phase in his life.

Sam was very excited about the idea of starting school. He has been asking to go since he turned 5 (when we told him that was the age he had to be to go to school). He was all set and ready to go until we actually went. We were able to meet his teacher (the coolest teacher in the school) and see his class room the Friday night before classes started. To say he was
apprehensive is an understatement. His eyes were wide, he walked into the room slowly, he stayed very close to either Kirk or me... and then he met her... his teacher... she talked to him, on his level about things having nothing to do with school, things to get his mind off of the stressful situation and make him more at ease. He pulled up his shirt- twisting it all the way (very unusual for him) but his wonderful teacher made him feel at ease, made him relax. (didn't I say she was awesome??!!) This simple task made me feel much more at ease as well. I am handing off my precious gift to a complete stranger, now, I feel much more relieved, my baby is going to be in good hands.


All that to say, it came, the day we had been expecting for years, the day to show my little boy the world around him without the protection of his parents. We were able to take him to his classroom that first Monday morning. I was strong, I did not cry, I
was a little in shock actually. The whole thing was easy and seamless. He walked right in as though he owned the place. He was confident, smiling, ready to start the day as though he had been there many times before. I gave him a hug and a kiss, he reciprocated, but was ready to have fun. without me. with his new friends, new world, new adventures. I just walked out, I knew I could not turn and look back. I knew he was going to be fine. I made it to the sidewalk, I did hold it together pretty well, only a couple of tears made their way out of my eyes. You see, I blinked. again... what will it be like when he goes off to college? Nope, he can't, therefore I will do whatever it takes to keep my eyes pried open.


















1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job! Loved reading all about this exciting but somewhat sad time....having your little one go to school.